1. Shin-Kap Han. 1994. “Mimetic Isomorphism and Its
Effect on the Audit Services Market.” Social Forces
· This article is used to illustrate the connections
between research issues, theoretical logics, and research
design. The article is clever in developing a comparative
research framework, motivating hypotheses, research
design, and the presentation of results. A solid empirical
2. Brian Uzzi. 1999. “Embeddedness in the Making of
Financial Capital: How Social Relations and Networks
Benefit Firms Seeking Financing.” American Sociological
Review 64: 481-505.
· This article is excellent in illustrating the triangulation
of theory, fieldwork (qualitative study), and statistical
analyses (quantitative study). Quick reading to get
the general flavor of this type of study.
3. Xueguang Zhou. 2000. “Economic Transformation and
Income Inequality in Urban China: Evidence from a Panel
Data.” American Journal of Sociology 105: 1135-1174.
4. Xueguang Zhou. 2003. “An Institutional Logic of Occupational
Prestige: Reconceptualization and Reanalyses.” Unpublished
· These two articles are used to further illustrate
the links between theory, hypotheses, and research design.
Quick reading to get the general flow of arguments and